URBAN HUNT: San Diego – December 4th, 2010
DEC 4, 2010: URBAN HUNT: SAN DIEGO. Fifty San Diegan hunters gathered at Rockin’ Baja Coastal Cantina this past Saturday for one heck of a hunt! Despite the sunny, 70 degree San Diego weather, many teams came dressed for the Holiday season, decked out as elves, Christmas gifts, reindeer and more. (They were extra prepared for their visit to Balboa Park’s annual December Nights celebration, which rings in the holidays every year in San Diego.)
The Christmas-themed costumes didn’t come out on top in our costume contest, though. It was the colorful disco era leisure suit and sun dress of team Ottly Mercer (Ashley Day & David Garcia) that won first prize in our costume contest, narrowly edging out the dancing reindeer outfits of Santa’s Little Hunters.
Other runner-ups were teams dressed as Chilean miners, jumping frogs and San Diego Chargers fans.
As the hunt began, teams took off to Balboa Park, Old Town San Diego and the Gaslamp Quarter to solve clues and challenges. In Balboa Park’s December Nights festival, teams danced to the Cajun tunes of Gator by the Bay, did their best SeaWorld penguin impressions, explored the bustling Spanish Village Art Studios and put their botanical skills to the test in Zoro Garden.
In the Gaslamp Quarter, teams had to bowl their way to strikes at East Village Tavern + Bowl, explored San Diego’s Historic Buildings district, and found their way to Mr. Padre, Tony Gwynn.
Teams also visited San Diego’s historic Old Town neighborhood. After searching for things like covered wagons, live donkeys and blacksmith anvils, they taste-tested the hot sauces of Hot Licks, and made their own hot wax dipped candles at Toby’s Candle Shop. They also paid a visit to the The William B. Kolender Sheriff’s Museum, where they got to ride a police motorcycle and testify at the witness stand of a mock courtroom.
After a successful hunt, the team that took home the top URBAN HUNT: San Diego prize, with the speedy time of just 2 hours 43 minutes, was the Chilean Miners, Shawn and Kristina O’Conner!
They were followed by our second place team, Legal Eagles (Priscilla Johnson and Sara Youngers), with a time of just over three hours. Third place went to team Coast to Coast, Kathleen Waldvogel and Anthony Sorantino.
Congrats to our winners, and all of the teams who competed on Saturday. We had a great time in San Diego, and we hope to see you all next year!
1. Chilean Miners– Shawn O’Conner & Kristina O’Conner 2:43:00
2. Legal Eagles– Priscilla Johnson & Sara Youngers 3:01:00
3. Coast to Coast– Kathleen Waldvogel & Anthony Sorantino 3:16:00
4. Jumping Frogs– Alyssa Fanelli & Emma Lawson 3:31:00
5. Parkour!– Heather Korner & Abby Mennerich 3:22:00
6. M.O.B.B.– Kristi Christenson & Celia Sepulveda 3:25:00
7. Amazing Quest– Lynne Bath & Mark Bath 3:26:00
8. Two Man Wolf Pack– Andrea King & Jason Lane 3:35:00*
9. Team Hobbie– Veronica Hobbie & Keith Hobbie 3:37:00
10. Team Carey– Andrea Carey & Joseph Carey 3:38:00
11. In Sickness and Health– Cherie Linneman & Keith Linneman 3:46:00
12. Ottly Mercer– Ashley Day & David Garcia 3:48:00
13. Team to Beat– Michael Blair & Bianca De La Torre 3:53:00
14. Pythons– Dave MacGregor & Tyler MacGregor 3:57:00
15. Sofa King Cool– Enrique Muro & Ivette Rodriguez 4:07:00
16. IDK– James Boydon & Kare Moore 4:10:00
17. Cat-astrophe– Andrea Currie & Cliff Currie 4:11:00
18. Nick’s Tricks– Nick Cervante & Jenny Harris 4:14:00
19. Hoagie– Frank Lai & Haeji Hong 4:17:00
20. Team Vonah– Michelle Mears & Lingko Phongkhammy 4:38:00
21. Santa’s Little Hunters– Danielle Griffith & Cindy Mishler 4:49:00
22. Flower Pots– Janet Beronie & Molly Beronie 4:51:00*
23. Ageless Elite– Lisa Roche & Lori Tappe 5:30:00*
24. Lion Force– Rosemary Bridges & Pete Sitagkoune DNF
25. Cinnamon– Amy Maletz & Melissa Rible DNF
*Teams that incurred a time penalty for incorrect or missing clues.
See even more photos on our Facebook page!